To gently draw the ball and hit more consistent shots, try this Punch Shot Drill.
- Position the ball about 3" inside your left heel with your normal 8 iron stance.
- Set up to the ball favoring your weight 70% forward in order to hit
the ground in the same place consistently.
- Transition to the downswing with a lateral hip slide (bump)
- Make half swings, keeping keeping your arms long into a short follow through.
- Hold your finish with good arm extension, maintaining a good angle of inclination to the ground.
- Hit balls off the ground with your 8 iron, and off a tee with your driver.
This drill will help important aspects of your swing - ball contact, swingpath control, and
- Keeping your arms relatively straight and extended keeps your swingpath more down and out.
- Do not roll your hands or forearms, allow the clubface to stay square to your swing arc in order to keep
your initial shot direction line consistent.
- Allow your hips to slide and then extend to allow your body to keep turning, which will slow down the
clubface rotation through the ball.